Trouble building Z coordinate

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
Connor

Trouble building Z coordinate

Postby Connor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi all,

I have set up a system of 4 beacons and one hedgehog multiple times and while the XY coordinates are great I cannot seem to get the z coordinate of the hedgehog correct. As you recommended in a previous post I manually set the height of the beacons but it seems like the z direction is inverted, i.e. when i move the hedgehog up in the air the value decreases and when I move it closer to the ground it increases. X and Y direction are great and seem to be unaffected, but the z direction is often very off.

I'm using HW 4.5 and the newest software, any help or advice would be great.

Thanks,
Connor

admin
Site Admin

Re: Trouble building Z coordinate

Postby admin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 am

Connor wrote:Hi all,

I have set up a system of 4 beacons and one hedgehog multiple times and while the XY coordinates are great I cannot seem to get the z coordinate of the hedgehog correct. As you recommended in a previous post I manually set the height of the beacons but it seems like the z direction is inverted, i.e. when i move the hedgehog up in the air the value decreases and when I move it closer to the ground it increases. X and Y direction are great and seem to be unaffected, but the z direction is often very off.

I'm using HW 4.5 and the newest software, any help or advice would be great.

Thanks,
Connor

Hello Connor,

There are icons on the map in the Dashboard. Two on the right on the map. Green ones. Use them. They mirror left-right and upside-down.
I believe, it shall solve you basic issues.

More complex issue is that you shall avoid crossing the plane of stationary beacons. Your mobile beacons better to be either above the plane of stationary beacons or below that plane. If you cross the plane, the geometry will be very bad for trilateration and not only you will have very high error in Z, the system will be confused once again whether you are above or below the plane.

This is valid for any HW. It is a matter of geometry.

BR,
Maxim

Connor

Re: Trouble building Z coordinate

Postby Connor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Thank you Maxim, clicking the button worked to un-invert my z coordinate.

Separate question: would you mind describing the information that is written to the log file? I am viewing it as a .csv and it is somewhat hard to interpret as there are no headers. The first three columns in particular are not clear, the other columns are fairly easy to understand, it looks like the xyz coordinates and the distance between each beacon.

Return to “FAQ”