ArduCopter minimum 6 Satellites required

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
N4LRCC

ArduCopter minimum 6 Satellites required

Postby N4LRCC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 pm

I have a hard time getting the “GPS” signal of Marvelmind to be accepted in ArduCopter. It works perfectly fine with ArduRover. ArduCopter seems more critical regarding the minimum number of satellites. After arming switch to PosHold, or when GeoFence is enabled, or any other function that requires GPS lock, ArduCopter will not enter in that mode because minimum satellites required is 6, and it is only getting 4 from Marvelmind.

My HDOP is 1.20 and GPS Status is 3 so that looks good. Mission Planner indicated 3D GPS position.

I have set AHRS_GPS_MINSATS to 0, but still getting the error minimum satellites required is 6. Marvelmind NMEA message $GPGGA line 2.6 output is set to 04. Can this be changed to 06?

Is there a way to spoof Pixhawk to make it think there are 6 satellites available? Or is there another solution that you are aware of?

admin
Site Admin

Re: ArduCopter minimum 6 Satellites required

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 am

N4LRCC wrote:I have a hard time getting the “GPS” signal of Marvelmind to be accepted in ArduCopter. It works perfectly fine with ArduRover. ArduCopter seems more critical regarding the minimum number of satellites. After arming switch to PosHold, or when GeoFence is enabled, or any other function that requires GPS lock, ArduCopter will not enter in that mode because minimum satellites required is 6, and it is only getting 4 from Marvelmind.

My HDOP is 1.20 and GPS Status is 3 so that looks good. Mission Planner indicated 3D GPS position.

I have set AHRS_GPS_MINSATS to 0, but still getting the error minimum satellites required is 6. Marvelmind NMEA message $GPGGA line 2.6 output is set to 04. Can this be changed to 06?

Is there a way to spoof Pixhawk to make it think there are 6 satellites available? Or is there another solution that you are aware of?

Here is the new SW: http://marvelmind.com/#Download => http://www.marvelmind.com/downloads/marvelmind_SW_2016_10_25.zip

Please, confirm that it solves the issue for you.

Thank you.
Maxim

N4LRCC

Postby N4LRCC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:49 am

That indeed did the trick. Drone is holding good position. Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,

Rick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:52 am

N4LRCC wrote:That indeed did the trick. Drone is holding good position. Thanks for the quick response.

Regards,

Rick

Thank you for updating us.
Good luck with continuation of your project!

niranjan

Postby niranjan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:37 pm

can you post your video..?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:09 pm

niranjan wrote:can you post your video..?

Hello,

As we discussed in YouTube, we integrated with Pixhawk standalone - not as a part of the copter - since we are producing Indoor "GPS" - not the whole system with copter. However, we will do videos with copters as well, but later - when we have more resources.

Bear with us :-)

BR,
Maxim

niranjan

Postby niranjan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:34 pm

thank you Maxim for reply....

N4LRCC had succeed in working with arducopter... but i am doubt on which flight controller did N4LRCC used.? i am using pixhawk flight controller.... i have doubt does indoor gps will work with it... if i see any video proof, i will be pretty confidence to buy indoor gps....

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:47 pm

niranjan wrote:thank you Maxim for reply....

N4LRCC had succeed in working with arducopter... but i am doubt on which flight controller did N4LRCC used.? i am using pixhawk flight controller.... i have doubt does indoor gps will work with it... if i see any video proof, i will be pretty confidence to buy indoor gps....

:-)
When we free up resources to make demo with flying copter on Pixhawk, we will certainly do that. Or, maybe, some of our customers will publish it before.

N4LRCC

Postby N4LRCC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:25 am

It works fine with PixHawk. That is what I use. Four beacons about 1 foot above the ground, 3 beacons at 10 feet. Very precise positioning, including Z axis. Still experimenting with PixHawk for tighter positioning keeping.

Rick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 pm

N4LRCC wrote:It works fine with PixHawk. That is what I use. Four beacons about 1 foot above the ground, 3 beacons at 10 feet. Very precise positioning, including Z axis. Still experimenting with PixHawk for tighter positioning keeping.

Rick

Thank you for sharing the results, Rick.

BR,
Maxim

Return to “FAQ”