Could I log the coordinates of the hedgehog using the Dashboard software?

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Question:

Answer:
Yes, Dashboard permanently writes coordinates into log file 'hedgehogs.log'.
On the attached screenshot is description of the data in the file.
Attachments
hedgehogs_log.png
hedgehogs_log.png (51.64 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

autonomy

Re: Could I log the coordinates of the hedgehog using the Dashboard software?

Postby autonomy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 pm

How do I know how "time from running the dashboard" compares to system time? I want to log the global timestamp of the mobile beacon's position (assume my computer is synced to an NTP server).

smoker77

Postby smoker77 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm

We will insert additional timestamp to log file in next version of software, we plan to publish updated firmware and dashboard in next few days. What kind of timestamp related to system time is more applicable for you: number of milliseconds from midnight, number of milliseconds from january,1 of 1970 (UNIX time) or another one?

autonomy

Postby autonomy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 pm

smoker77 wrote:We will insert additional timestamp to log file in next version of software, we plan to publish updated firmware and dashboard in next few days. What kind of timestamp related to system time is more applicable for you: number of milliseconds from midnight, number of milliseconds from january,1 of 1970 (UNIX time) or another one?

That's great! I'd say from a robotics point of view UNIX time is the most useful as it allows easy synchronization with the rest of the system without any additional computations. This is how every system I've encountered timestamps their data - which is super-handy if the host system is synchronized to a common NTP server. To be honest, the 'time from running the dashboard" timestamp doesn't seem very useful if one doesn't know when the dashboard was run.

By the way, I am really pleased by how responsive you guys are.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm

autonomy wrote:
smoker77 wrote:We will insert additional timestamp to log file in next version of software, we plan to publish updated firmware and dashboard in next few days. What kind of timestamp related to system time is more applicable for you: number of milliseconds from midnight, number of milliseconds from january,1 of 1970 (UNIX time) or another one?

That's great! I'd say from a robotics point of view UNIX time is the most useful as it allows easy synchronization with the rest of the system without any additional computations. This is how every system I've encountered timestamps their data - which is super-handy if the host system is synchronized to a common NTP server. To be honest, the 'time from running the dashboard" timestamp doesn't seem very useful if one doesn't know when the dashboard was run.

By the way, I am really pleased by how responsive you guys are.

Thank you for providing the feedback! Then, we will make the modifications to our protocol.

mariareese

Postby mariareese » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I was also have similar issue .. another thing to know about its latest version..

smoker77

Postby smoker77 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

The current version already supports this additional timestamp. See the attached screenshot, the UNIX time in milliseconds is the first value.
Attachments
dashboard_log.PNG
dashboard_log.PNG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

Return to “FAQ”